Monday, April 13, 2009

the butterfly blog

so i started this blog because i really want feedback for this time of transition in my life... and hopefully, my journey is somewhat entertaining for people to follow... so please let me know your thoughts, especially advice!

the title for my blog is inspired by my friend hanna, who also described my current journey like turning into a butterfly. i really hope it turns out that way, rather than staying in the cocoon and rotting away.... or turning into a hideous two-headed monster instead. the best thing about butterflies (besides their marked wings that ward off predators) is that they never stay anywhere for long and they can always explore new landscapes and nectars.

and for me, i'm currently transitioning out of teaching and into..... who knows? i really want to be involved in music and ministry.... but i need a job first. what kind of job? i really have no idea! my skills are really random - classroom management + writing lesson plans, classical, jazz, and gospel piano, analyzing deep philosophical texts, scheduling and contacting people in the band.... and my interests are even more random - health, skincare, fashion, music, art, politics, reading, traveling, food.... sounds pretty generic, now that i look at it.

the types of jobs i've considered are real estate (seems a lot of my musician friends do this), working at whole foods, teaching piano, playing for weddings and parties, working at a christian non-profit, and being a band director. i'm a little teached-out right now and i can't see myself working in a school for the near future.

i'm glad i don't have to work immediately after school's out, and the summertime in chicago is lots of fun!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Helen,

    What a lovely surprise to see that you've started a blog! I've recently (just this past week) accidently come across a few blogs, fallen in love with them, and now read them diligently. And now I can do the same with helenthebutterfly!

    Don't really have any advice for you now, but I know that transitions are difficult. The jobs you listed sound really wonderful (aside from real estate!) You can do anything you want! What do you want to be when you grow up? : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey helen! it's neat that you have so many skills and interests..that makes you quite versatile and able to find a decent "in between" job until you get your dream job! very excited to hear your thoughts.. i remember our conversations back in the day freshman year at wheaton and those were some of my favourite times there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi jai jai. if you work at whole foods, give me discounts on goji berries! hahaahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you turn into a two headed monster....that is a job in itself

    -ancient mesopatamian proverb

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey helen, i'm glad you started a blog! i'm excited to read and see where you go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Helen, yay for a new blog. :) Did you check out the holy discontent website yet? They have 2 self-assessments that may help you discern your next steps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops, that was Karen, not Jeremy :)

    ReplyDelete