Wednesday, May 13, 2009

spiritual meat 'n' potatoes

i had an official kick in the butt this past sunday at church. my pastor preached a sermon for all time - about really, the simplest thing in the world, devotional time with God. the analogy he used involved two people. each day of the week, they each took a step - the one committed to reading his bible and spending time with God in the direction of God's will. and the other, careless about devotions, in a direction away from God's will. and day by day, one got closer to God's will and the other further.

it isn't about profound spiritual revelations and miracles, it's about day-to-day dependency on God.

i want to justify that my inconsistency in daily devotions is my ridiculously busy workload. but i know that if pursuing God was really my first priority, the work and the worry wouldn't be an issue.

the few days since that sermon have been like coming home after years abroad. i've been spending time in the Word and prayer at least once a day, and God has been really good to show me so many things to give me wisdom, peace, and hope. everyone should try it, really!

most of all, i'm so glad that God is so patient in my meanderings. and so willing to welcome me with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment