Monday, October 19, 2009

faith

this is pastors' appreciate month! i am incredibly thankful for my pastor and all the leaders at my church. i was just reflecting today on how far God has brought me and that just a few short years ago, i was still in the throes of clinical depression and not ever imagining that i could live a full and joyful life.

for those of you who knew me back in high school and/or college, and for those that didn't... i was so depressed that i slept like 14 hours a day, barely got my homework done, hated doing anything social, hated being around people, lived in my own world of escaping anything painful... and i didn't think i could ever really live a life free of my depression. everything revolved around it... and revolved and revolved and i hated my life and hated myself.

well, people had been praying for me even before i became depressed - my family, my youth leaders at EFC, my christian friends... and they prayed for me while i was going through my 9+years of depression...

i went through anti-depressants, therapy, and it's awesome and beautiful how god has brought me to a church that has seen people delivered from drugs, from gangs, and from selfishness because i saw the power of god firsthand in my own life.

being free of depression is not a one-time experience. it's an ongoing molding and stretching and shaping by the Holy Spirit. it's learning to be disciplined in the face of emotional rollercoasters, it's dealing with interpersonal issues instead of ignoring them, it's learning to hope and trust that our present troubles are momentary in comparison to our eternal glory... and all this came from the power of prayer. the prayer of faith is indeed a spiritual weapon that this world cannot stand up to.

in fact, what can we do without God's power? and what can't we do without His power?

i want to encourage you to pray with faith today. lift your voice and declare your trust in God and watch Him do the impossible for your life.

3 comments:

  1. Helen, I am praising God right now!! I didn't realize how deep your depression was and how long you had been going through the battle...wow. I know we've talked about bits and pieces of your faith walk, but thank you for being open on this blog post. Thank you for testifying to the grace and power of our Lord. it has ministered to my heart because I see every sunday and every thursday and tuesday...wow, I see a lot of you!...I see the amazing work of God in you. Just to think, it's ongoing too!
    Love you Wu

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, thank you for sharing this so honestly! the work of God is evident in your life and glorifies Him....bless you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This resonates with me. I went through that too in college, except I had unhealthy ways of release. Your testimony is awesome, friend. It's been awesome to see our God change you the past... wow... almost 10 years now.

    ReplyDelete